• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dewband KO'd. Salvageable ?

Bino-viewer

Hi there.

Had my first observing session last night for a while up at DDAS observatory.

Bit cloudy to say the least, but we has a few clear spells to view Lunar, a few doubles & clusters, 

and 2 new objects for me, the Eskimo nebula (NGC 2392 Gemini) and the blue snowball (NGC 7662 Andromeda)

They were both washed out by the moon, but it was good to see them, particularly the Eskimo.

I think more aperture was needed really. I was only using the refractor. They should be better with the Dob.

During the evening though, i had a mishap.

My new dewband, got caught on the front of the mount, and became snagged during a slew....

......which resulted in the wire parting company from the band :(

Not happy......:angry:

But i imagine this is a frequent happening for the clumsy observer (moi :facepalm:)

So, is it an easy job to repair ?

Theres quite a lot of stiching at the end of the band.

Should i try to fix it ? 

I must say, the wires came away very easily. This anti dew business does my head in sometimes.....

22583943944_26c65d443a.jpg22583943824_db8b9a57c4.jpg

Edited by Bino-viewer

I had the same thing happen to one of my dew bands. 

I just unpicked the stitching, re-soldered the wire, added some epoxy resin for extra strength then stitched it back up. 

Been fine ever since so definitely worth repairing.

If it was soldered directly to the nichrome wire, that would explain it's ease of departure, solder does not properly adhere to nichrome. If you can, try and crimp them together somehow before soldering. That way it will be more stable.