PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EMS Needs You!! Web Master Required.

tuckstar

There already is an existing Facebook page with mods, myself and Daz, when he can. It is public but shouldn't be too much trouble to make a private one.

https://www.facebook.com/EastMidlandsStargazers

We have looked at different ways to carry on with darksites but we have taken the decision not to continue with them as its too difficult to split from the website. I will put an update once we have more details, dates etc. Please bear with us while we sort through this.

I have recently been in touch with ww. To renew they want £175 a year and a holding cheque of £200, that would come with access to the light switch. We don't have a cheque book anyway. If any one wants to take that on then I can forward the details. And obviously Belper would just be a call to Sharon.

I am happy to set up a whats app group if people want that. Members can message me their phone number rather than putting it on here and I can add them to the group. Please be aware this does mean sharing your phone number with others in the group,.

1 hour ago, tuckstar said:

...I am happy to set up a whats app group if people want that...

I've never used WhatsApp, does it have any advantages over Facebook?

1 hour ago, Clive said:

I've never used WhatsApp, does it have any advantages over Facebook?

Whats app is a direct message service that you can create groups on so everyone in the group would see any messages you send. I use it instead of normal text messages. Very secure.

I have created a whats app community,for any members who are interested in staying in contact.

A WhatsApp community is a bit more than just direct messages and allows groups to be created kind of like threads on the forum.

Either message me with your phone number or I can send you a link if you would like to be added

Edited by tuckstar
  • Like 2

Gutted, everyone has been extremely helpful since I joined, thank you all! I've not used FB in in years but might get back on it. 

I'm quite surprised to have found that the statement that the EMS website is to be formally closed is at the bottom of the long scroll down list of Forums rather than at the top under the Information forum?

17 hours ago, Clive said:

I'm quite surprised to have found that the statement that the EMS website is to be formally closed is at the bottom of the long scroll down list of Forums rather than at the top under the Information forum?

Just a minor oversight for mobile view.

Hi All,

This has been my favourite board. Thanks for all the help, advice and encouragement. Sorry that I don't have the skills or sponsorship money. I sometimes post on the BBC Sky at Night forum but hardly anyone goes there. Better is The Sky Searchers (TSS) where I post the updates I post here.

Is anyone up for a Facebook group? If so, private or public? This will make it easier to show photos than Wassap. I can do this if needed.

SkySearchers sucks! They are ableist bigots who do nothing but attack each other. Try Backyard Astro. I'm a bit gutted EMS is closing TBH. First Astronomy Shed, then Astronomy Connect, now EMS. 😞

I hope to see some of you guys on The Backyard Astronomy Space. 

5 hours ago, Astronomer, Reinvented said:

Is anyone up for a Facebook group? If so, private or public? This will make it easier to show photos than Wassap. I can do this if needed.

Thanks Phil, but the Facebook page has been up for years. Iys very easy to share images on WhatsApp 

Just had a look at the fb site. Looks like one cant post on there plus what posts are on it are old news posts. Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

56 minutes ago, philjay said:

Just had a look at the fb site. Looks like one cant post on there plus what posts are on it are old news posts. Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

I think its because it is a page, rather than a group. I found the same.

PM sent to Andy for WhatsApp, and already following the Facebook page (albeit in need of a bot of love it seems!)

Extremely gutted to see EMS folding, but of course do understand the reasons.  Facebook <shudder> does seem to be the way to go for keeping costs low for some time - this web/forum site is excellent, but clearly a heavy cost both financially and labour-wise.

Dark Skies going though makes it a double whammy!  I only joined in January, a week or so after getting my Celestron 6SE - but I learned more in one evening with Bryan & Rob at Wymeswold, than I had in 5 years with previous scopes, and months of reading up on the Nexstar.  Thank you again chaps!

Jon

I've been discussing this whole thing with a couple of people and not sure if this has already been brought up, but there's fairly easy ways to set up an online forum away from Facebook, if there was appetite to do that. I get the impression that this forum is fairly bespoke (without looking into it) but if people were prepared to re-register on a new forum and accept that the existing content is likely to be lost to the mists of time, I'm fairly sure it could be done even by a relative layman like me or someone similar. I'm pretty busy at it is, but if people wanted a bog standard forum that could be built up again, utilising much of the same subdivisions I'm sure, then what do people think? Could prob keep the same web address. Apologies if this has been brought up before.

PS - I set up a forum for my cycling club back in about 2008, pretty sure you could maintain the colour scheme and graphics to an extent but might look very different otherwise.

Edited by Bob Dobber

On 21/09/2024 at 23:39, Ibbo said:

Are we allowed to start a thread on Facebook or is that just down to Admin?

Face book doesn't work like that Steve, you are welcome to post what you want.

I've set up groups on Whats app for different subjects and only admin can add groups. Shout up if there is a particular subject group and an admin can add it.

11 hours ago, Bob Dobber said:

I've been discussing this whole thing with a couple of people and not sure if this has already been brought up, but there's fairly easy ways to set up an online forum away from Facebook, if there was appetite to do that. I get the impression that this forum is fairly bespoke (without looking into it) but if people were prepared to re-register on a new forum and accept that the existing content is likely to be lost to the mists of time, I'm fairly sure it could be done even by a relative layman like me or someone similar. I'm pretty busy at it is, but if people wanted a bog standard forum that could be built up again, utilising much of the same subdivisions I'm sure, then what do people think? Could prob keep the same web address. Apologies if this has been brought up before.

PS - I set up a forum for my cycling club back in about 2008, pretty sure you could maintain the colour scheme and graphics to an extent but might look very different otherwise.

Thanks for that, but still needs someone to run the back end. Maybe on the future but for now its facebook for public and what's app for private.

Thanks for that, but still needs someone to run the back end. Maybe on the future but for now its facebook for public and what's app for private.

Hmm, not sure Im doing this right, the East Midlands Stargazers fb page has no post button and the last post was back in may re aurora. Am i on the right one?

I understand, but what I mean is, starting from scratch. The forum I ran before didn't take much running to be honest, once set up. It'd just be a lot simpler than what currently exists that's all. No worries though, just an idea.

5 hours ago, philjay said:

Hmm, not sure Im doing this right, the East Midlands Stargazers fb page has no post button and the last post was back in may re aurora. Am i on the right one?

Its how the page was first set up, so only admin can post. Cant see how to change that but I'll have a proper look when I can.

7 hours ago, tuckstar said:

Face book doesn't work like that Steve, you are welcome to post what you want.

I've set up groups on Whats app for different subjects and only admin can add groups. Shout up if there is a particular subject group and an admin can add it.

Sorry Ibbo, I see what you mean now.

• Like 2

Sad news! . Thanks so much @Craig for all the hardwork, and commitment over all these years. I especially enjoyed our Humorous 'Elite Dangerous' chat several years back.

All the best mate!