PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Denkmeier Optical (Hauppauge, New York, USA)  'R2' (double powerswitch) 2 inch mirror diagonal. (Dielectric 1/10th wave flat)

Hand built by Russell D Lederman.

Been tempted by one of these for a year or more, and its an absolute beast.

Built like a tank, and weighing in at 1.2 kilos.

For refractor use only. 

This is how it works : each powerswitch has 2 lenses which slide accross in to the optical path, typically giving 6 different magnification depending on which lens (es) are used.

I can use either mono or bino configurations with it.

The eyepiece holder is detachable, which is important for bino use giving me back around 30mm of back focus, as well as making things more compact.

I'm currently trying to source an adapter so i can couple my Mk V directly to it.

But just as an example, lets say i use it in mono mode using my 2 inch wide field 21mm Ethos.

The R2 will give me 7 different magnifications using just the one 21mm eyepiece.

ie  0.75x 1x 1.3x 1.6x 1.85x 2.2x 2.3x  (works the same in bino viewers but with 6 magnifications typically 1.3x - 3.4x)

So with the E21 / FLT132 refractor i'll have all these magnifications on hand (after refocusing)  33x, 44x (native) 57x, 70x, 81x, 96x, 101x

Mostly, i'll be bino-viewing and the flexibility this diagonal gives will be really beneficial at dialling in the best view, on any given night,particularly at high power, where seeing plays a big part.

Thats the theory anyway. I'm itching to try it out, and will post my impressions in due course  :)

15771981910_beb8c550b5_n.jpgDenkmeier R2 by rob.0919, on Flickr15336981024_1fb321bbae_n.jpgDenkmeier R2 by rob.0919, on Flickr15773532877_340586fae5_n.jpgDenkmeier R2 by rob.0919, on Flickr15773534437_bfe5f71797_n.jpgDenkmeier R2 by rob.0919, on Flickr

Blimey, that's a monster! What a piece of engineering as well. I'll definitely be looking out for your opinions on it. Nice one Rob. :)

• Like 1

Tele-vue Panoptic 24mm eyepiece.

The credit cards taken another unwanted hit....but I've saved £100 on me buying a new one.

Couldn't pass it by.

Problem is I need another to make a Bino pair.

The 24Pan (with its 27mm fieldstop) will give me the widest field I can get with my Mk V bino-viewer.

But I need another........anyone want to sell me one ?