PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Just had a Product Recall notice on my new HitecAstro Dew Controller.  I got mine from First Light Optics who contacted me straight away ....

Thought I'd post it here for info in case anybody else has had one recently from other traders:

"HitecAstro have advised us a safety issue has been identified with the cigarette-plug fitted to a number of their 'HitecAstro four-channel, four-port Dew Controllers' which could potentially cause it to overheat in use."

Mine has been identified as one of a "small batch affected" and will be going back for replacement.

Note:  Another example of good customer support from FLO  :thumbsup:

Al

i`ve had a heads up from them quoting a load of numbers, are the numbers on the units ?

I didn't get any numbers, just an email saying the one I had ordered has been identified as being from the recalled batch .... so back it goes!

Thanks for posting Al. Have checked the one in Pete's box, but I have already replaced the 12v end.

Thanks Damian.

When you get the beastie out, that will keep you right out of trouble.

Maybe. ;)

I usually get into trouble when I spend money.

These were absolute bargains at a couple of quid each :facepalm: ...

1cata.jpeg

1interstell.jpeg

That seems a bit of overkill Felix? Would have thought the 10l model would suffice, I use a 2litre model and although I check it every other day it does the job very well.

Cheers

Ron

Guest Tweedledum

16" pier extension, to swap the 12" onto the pier and skytee II and use the 16" on the eq5 and skytee I. better viewing pos for the fracs.

I just bought an Altair Astro 60mm finder guider scope with non rotating helical focusser £169 at AstroFest. The other purchases were, a qhy5Lii colour camera £184, and, a box of 1.25" eyepieces for £99. This box contained several eyepieces, 2x barlow and several colour filters. There was also a glass piece that screwed into the other eyepieces which increased the mag by a factor of I think he said at the show, 1.5x.  He said they were Meade eyepieces and pointed to one as a Plossl that was originally sold separately for £79.  One eyepiece, the lowest mag (or longest focal length) had a smooth pull out action.  Not sure whether it was a a bargain, or just the normal price. But I saw another, similar boxed set on show reduced down to £149, so asummed if the eyepieces were similar, £99 was decent enough.  I think they may be better than my Kellners bought in 1982.  

I was considering some lunar and planetary work with the qhy5Lii and 8.75" NR, and wondered which of these two approaches was the better:

1. Barlow lens, qhy5Lii camera

2. Eyepiece projection using an EPP adaptor. But I wouldn't know how to fit the qhy5Lii camera at the back of the EPP adapter? Normally, a SLR or DSLR would go onto the back of the common EPP adaptors. But I guess a different type of adaptor would be needed to be added at the end of the extension tube (that contains the eyepiece), instead of the DSLR T adapter.

In 2, some high focal lengths and f numbers (hence massive effective magnifications) can be obtained by varying the position of the eyepiece inside the adapter.

In 1, a 2x barlow on an f 5.6 8.75" wouldn't give much magnification for a planet such as Jupiter, so would a 3x or even a 5x powermate be a better approach?

I assume the same net effective focal length can be obtained by either approach, but one may be better than the other, but unsure which.  I found with film photography, and a barlow only, the image of the moon was so bright, I could get away with fast shutter speeds. But Jupiter was small and I tended to use EPP with a 6mm or 9mm eyepiece.

Of course, it's all different with fast frame video compared to film, so what's the preferred route.

Thanks chaps

Time for a cuppa

Edited by Orion

Some nice purchases Derek, sorry we had to leave the show a bit early but I had to get back as I was working nights, tried looking for you to say by but couldn't find you.

Dewalt 6 piece tool kit on special offer from screwfix. My current tools are really not up to the job building this roll off shed! aa80e9c32d7a9d640ddbe9ac7186e8bd.jpg

They're great Damian, Just been watching TV with them :ph34r: .

It's like having an IMAX screen in the lounge :2thumbsup:  .