PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Having seen a thread on SGL I popped into 'The Works' in Loughborough and came out with the following:

Philip's Stargazing 2015 - £2  <-- I got the last one in stock
The Quantum Universe: Everything that can happen does happen by Brian Cox & Jeff Forshaw -  £3
An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth (Hardback)
by Chris Hadfield - £5  

Al

I paid nearly £20 for "The Quantum Universe" when it first came out. It is very good though.

Spent the FLO gift vouchers I got for my birthday - great service from FLO, ordered yesterday most of it arrived today!

William Optics RDF

william_optics_red_dot_finder_thumb.jpg

William Optics SWAN 33mm 2" eyepiece

WOswan_thumb.jpg

And due to arrive in another 2-3 days

Skywatcher 2" Di-Electric Diagonal

skywatcher-2-inch-dielectric-star-diagon

Guest Martin Hill

explore scientific 12 inch ultra light dob arrived last week after long delays. Clagged in pretty well ever since . Ho Hum

Hope you will let us know more about the ES Dob, and a first light report when you get chance Martin :)

Lacerta 1/10 micro transmission to upgrade the focuser on my dob. Just got to fit it now.

https://flic.kr/p/rp3huZ

Well that took all of ten minutes to do! Quickest mod I've ever done. Just need some clear skies to try it out with.

Edited by tuckstar

Nice one Andy. It's a good mod to do, it improves the focuser no end, and you don't have to remove the focuser and risk altering it's alignment.

Tried to post this with Tapatalk but it didn't work properly.

Just got this very nice coffee table book from the works for only £1.99!! :)

Apparently it was £25 when first published!

Basically each page has a spectacular picture plus another page of information about it, which makes it a very nice book to dip in and out of for five minutes at a time.

ATourist.jpg

Y'know that feeling when part of you thinks 'Do It' and another part thing 'Don't'  ....  well the Do It part just won!

Daystar Quark (Chromosphere vesion) Ha Solar Filter

http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGBDAYQC

QuarkIn2DiagW.jpg

Won't be here for a few weeks so the obligatory cloudy skies associated with every astro purchase I make should have move on by then!

I've been wanting to get into Ha for a while and this looks like the way forward  ...... I'll be using this on my Equinox 80 Pro. 

Now I need to find a way to convince SWMBO .... "Oh that thing ... It's just a new barlow lens!"

Al

nice, let me know if you need any help trying it out, they look very interesting.

Nice one Al, I was trying to decide last month between a quark and a Lunt 50. Eventually plumped for the Lunt. Ive looked through a couple of Quarks, you wont be disappointed. 

Nice one Al, I was trying to decide last month between a quark and a Lunt 50. Eventually plumped for the Lunt. Ive looked through a couple of Quarks, you wont be disappointed. 

I think I've spent the last month or so trying to decide between the Quark and a Lunt50 or even pushing towards a Lunt60.

I asked a a couple of dealers (who sell both Quark & Lunt) and they each thought the Quark/Equinox 80 would outperform the basic Lunt60.  Nick Howes also said the same on twitter when I asked him .... so that's the way I went.  Pretty much all the reviews I've seen said go for the chromosphere version rather than the prom version.

Price over the Lunt60 was a big factor and aperture on my Equnox 80 over the Lunt50 won the day!

I think both options have + & - points.

The Quark needs a power supply (i'll probably get the battery pack at some point) and its 10-15min warm up time. 

There is also the fact that a Lunts can be upgraded (although expensive) where the Quark can't, but I think I can pretty much live with both of those.  

The Quark does have the advantage of being easy to swap between bigger/smaller aperture scopes in the future.

I have seen some people getting stunning images by adding a Quark to a Lunt60, so who knows where I'll end up ... it's going to be a huge step up from white light views. 

Al

Is that a Paramount Sheila, the one you said looks ugly?????

;)

yup butt ugly but will do the job i want it to :P

yup butt ugly but will do the job i want it to :P

Nice to see some real classy kit being used, even though I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.  :2thumbsup:

You've certainly had a bit of an upgrade from the EQ5 and 200p you were struggling with just a couple of years ago. :)

You are going to need two Spartans to carry and assemble your gear now. Very nice mind you.

its lighter than the GM1000, and i can chuck that around at 18kgs :rofl:  hercules has nothing on me :D

Is that the new MyT...?

Puts my little DM6 in the shade  :lol:

Is the GM1000 retired now.......?

Is that the new MyT...?

Puts my little DM6 in the shade  :lol:

Is the GM1000 retired now.......?

yes it is the MyT and no the GM does the work at home, this is for dark sites, then i dont have to ruin PA on the

GM for the unguided stuff every time i want to go out