PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

nice bit a kit that, I am sure you will be very happy with it :D

Thanks Shelia Are you on the road to recovery after that vicious hardware attack  ;)

Thanks Shelia Are you on the road to recovery after that vicious hardware attack  ;)

Yup. Takes more than that to keep me back :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

After what seems like forever my Quark Chromosphere solar filter has finally arrived ..

20150515_180139.jpg

Its arrival prompted the following conversation with my wife (Jackie)

Jackie: So is that the Quark you've been waiting for?

Me: Yep

Jackie: and you need clear, sunny skies for it
Me: Yep

Jackie: Well that's the end of our summer then !
Me
:   :(

Hopefully she's wrong and I'll get a chance to get it onto the Equinox 80 and do a first light soon!

Al

• Like 2

Double Stars for small telescopes by Sissy Haas.

After 25 days wsiting for it to come via the states. Looks a good book

Maplins   large, high impact case.

I've outgrown my old case, so have upgraded.

Only 5 cm or so wider, but i can now fit all my kit in one case.

Brought it a while ago actually ; seem to remember getting a tenner off it in a sale. (Usually £50)

Its certainly very sturdy. (See 'Eyepiece' section for more  :) )

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-high-impact-case-with-pre-cut-foam-interior-n14gr

17759010619_15dfc6685c_z.jpgUntitled by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

25mm Fujiyama HD Orthoscopic Eyepiece.

Let me know how you get on with this one.

Very tempted with a set to replace my old UO Ortho's and the Fujiyama seroes looks very good for the price.

Is this the only one you have Pete?

Let me know how you get on with this one.

Very tempted with a set to replace my old UO Ortho's and the Fujiyama seroes looks very good for the price.

Is this the only one you have Pete?

Ordered it this morning from Lyra Optics and got an email straight back from from Glen Moulton to say he would ship it in the morning :)

If I find it useful I may go for a couple more, but don't think I'd be keen on the tiny lenses and eye relief in the shorter ones.

Apparently they are the same as the Astro Hutecs and have very good reviews.

Just fancied checking out a few smaller eps than the ones I normally use for a change. Got my eye on an old Erfle and a Konig since I've always fancied trying them, but they will probably be awful at my F ratios :)

chooseeps.jpg

Hi Pete, pls let me know what you think of the book... Choosing and using...

By the way, you can pick up my Konig 25mm (2", 70 deg) on your travels if you want to take it and try it, to compare etc.

Will do Steve, just waiting for Amazon to deliver.

Thanks very much for your offer. We will organise an eyepiece swap, if I there is anything of interest to you in my Maplins case. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Baader Q-Turret for convenient use of my new little eyepieces and Stellacam.

Tracer 22 amp hour lithium ion battery pack and charger for mounting on the dob to completely do away with any trailing wires and for powering the AZ goto.

1Turret.jpg

1Tracer22Ah.jpg

Nice turret Pete.

You and me think alike, I was only yesterday thinking about a range of Fujiyama orthos and a turret, makes life really easy.

Great buy.

That battery looks the biz as well, very compact judging by the size of the battery and the charging plug sockets. Having an housing also helps retain it's capacity when it drops cold.

That battery looks the biz as well, very compact judging by the size of the battery and the charging plug sockets. Having an housing also helps retain it's capacity when it drops cold.

Yes, it is small and lightweight. If it doesn't last long enough (22AH is the largest capacity) there is still plenty of room left for a second one hidden away in the dob base.

Nice turret Pete.

You and me think alike, I was only yesterday thinking about a range of Fujiyama orthos and a turret, makes life really easy.

Great buy.

Yes a selection of 4 Fujiyamas would be nice in the turret. I might add the 18mm Fujiyama, but I really don't think I'd get on with the smaller ones due to the tiny lenses and lack of eye relief. Looking round for some easier viewing alternatives for the shorter focal lengths.

'Phone Skope' & C-4 'universal adapter'.

Wanted to have a go at some afocal imaging with my iPhone...... :huh:

The phone clips in the case, which attaches neatly to the adapter, which you then twist. This engages clamps which grip the eyepiece.

Its nicely engineered, although i'm not convinced it will work. 

My iPhone 6+ is big and weighty and my not sit well clamped to the eyepiece.

I will try and report back with some astounding planetary images, i'm sure.  ;) I don't Damian Peach will be too worried  :lol:

Purchased from Newpro UK Ltd (see Phone Skope section on website)

http://www.newprouk.co.uk

18181041093_5daafbd8f4_z.jpgUntitled by Robert Seymour, on 18801701925_edc6007eaf_z.jpgUntitled by Robert Seymour, on 18804277041_e68d73a84f_z.jpgUntitled by Robert Seymour, on 18775414806_1b5c808fb9_z.jpgUntitled by Robert Seymour, on Flickr