PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

That looks like it will fit and clamp on well Rob :thumbsup:

I was rather intrigued as to what the Gynocular portable colposcope was all about on that website. I clicked through but not sure that it would be much use under the stars :facepalm2:

Will do Mick.

There may be a dedicated adapter for your specific birding scope which works better than a universal adapter.

The website is good if you check.....

Taking inspiration from Dave, ( TasKING ) one of these little beauties has just arrived from good old Amazon.

Sunco® DREAM 2 SJ4000 Action Video Full HD 1080p 12MP Waterproof Sports Camera With 1.5 -inch High Definition Screen 

Only £45......a bit of a steal at that price. (why are the 'GoPro's so expensive ?)

Need to fit an adapter, and filter, and then (and this is where i run into problems) find some Mac compatible software

to stack and align the frames, before processing them.

Steep learning curve for me.  :pulp:  :negative:  :drama:  :dontknow:  :computer:

But if i manage to get some images as good as Dave has with his, i'll be well happy !

18799364958_1a9afc54b9.jpgSunco canera by Robert Seymour, on 18800816989_56a2aecb1b.jpgSunco canera by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

I couldn't resist a fantastic offer for a brand new, never used 31mm Nagler T5.

jKyQEM.jpg

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

You're going to love that Mick. :thumbsup:

Your 28mm UWAN will be sad though.

Over the last few sessions I've borrowed some Televue eyepieces off my fathers friend. The eyepieces were a 13mm Ethos and two Delos the 17.3 and a 10mm one.

The Ethos felt awkward due to the large FOV but the Delos were fantastic with 20mm eye relief and 72° FOV they felt comfortable so I'm selling the Uwan's and the Dob and buying at least 5 off the Delos's. The plan is to buy the following set eventually:  31N, 26N, 17.3D, 14D, 12D, 10D, 8D, 6D, 4.5D, and 3.5D.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1

I simply refer to mine Mick as 'the grenade' !

You should get spectacular views from it with your 300P

Great purchase : and they hold their value very well indeed.

My N31 is now my oldest eyepiece : brought it a few years ago at Astrofest now when Tele-vue had that 20% discount offer on.

Life keeper.

Over the last few sessions I've borrowed some Televue eyepieces off my fathers friend. The eyepieces were a 13mm Ethos and two Delos the 17.3 and a 10mm one.

The Ethos felt awkward due to the large FOV but the Delos were fantastic with 20mm eye relief and 72° FOV they felt comfortable so I'm selling the Uwan's and the Dob and buying at least 5 off the Delos's. The plan is to buy the following set eventually:  31N, 26N, 17.3D, 14D, 12D, 10D, 8D, 6D, 4.5D, and 3.5D.

Well, you'd certainly have everything well covered with that fabulous range of eps.

I'm very intrigued by the Delos with the same size (massive) eye lens and eye relief throughout the range.

I had the 31 Nagler for about 10 years and used it more than any other eyepiece. Wish I'd still got it.

I've done a little comparing eyepieces and you can see the difference between the Uwan and the Delos. Don't get me wrong the Uwan's are brilliant but the Delos have less light scatter and higher contrast. While observing Jupiter I could see festoons on Jupiter with the 17.3 Delos which were not there with the 16mm Uwan.

I had the 31 Nagler for about 10 years and used it more than any other eyepiece. Wish I'd still got it.

What a shame you sold it. As usual I'm late to the party  :lol:

I sold my 31 Nagler in about 2009 for £300, not a mark on it, in original box. Paid £650 in 2000!

I've never heard any reports of anyone not absolutely loving the Delos.

Edited by Tweedledee

I paid £350 for mine, which was BNIB condition.

Fantastic bargain!!

You lucky devil finding that :thumbsup:

Agree with what you say with the Ethos Mick, some people are put off but unlike you I love the wide FOV you get with the Ethos, the double cluster at 13mm is just fantastic, nice dark back ground and it all fits in nicely.  I too have never heard a bad thing about the Delos range, they came out about the time I was looking to get my 13mm Ethos, I didn't know which to get so opted for the bigger field of view in the end.

This is my type of wide angle zoom eyepiece, and is a bit out of the ordinary.

I tracked this down brand new in the USA, for what I think must be the cheapest price on the planet, even after international shipping, VAT and duty. It is a Speers WALER (Wide Angle Long Eye Relief) medium to high power zoom eyepiece. It has a field of view running from a massive 89 degrees at maximum power, to 84 degrees at minimum power, although apparently these figures can vary slightly from eyepiece to eyepiece. They are designed and made in Canada by Glen Speers of Antares using 9 glass elements, and are reported to give excellent quality, almost Nagler-like views. It is another big, hefty lump, but a little lighter than some of my others. 

Can't wait to get it out of customs :) .

Speers3.JPG

Speers2.JPG

Speers1.JPG

• Like 1

That's different Pete, isn't 89 degrees FOV a bit narrow for you?

;)

While I'm waiting for it I will get some practice by looking through a straw :D .

I've looked at these before Pete and as you say they look impressive, how do they lock into place once you found your focal length?  I like the textured barrel I bet it gives it a really firm grip.

I used to know someone on SGL that had one of these many years ago, cannot remember who it was though.

It has a really slick, well made click stop mechanism. You just slide the body relative to the barrel, and it goes precisely to the focal length displayed.

There is an earlier 5 to 8mm physically smaller version nicknamed the Canadian Cannon, but that might be a bit too high power and less usable for my needs.

Just got my Televue 17.3mm Delos in the post, I can't believe how sexy it looks, feels fantastic in the hands.

Looks brand new, all paperwork included.

GYxbCc.jpg

QN8ouO.jpg

• Like 1