PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Tyre warmers are hard core - you can still drive the bike without them. Without a dew heater you won't be able to see through the telrad if there's the slightest hint of dew - rendering the whole scope "undriveable". :)

I should have something sorted soon.

I still have a few other things to buy, like a dew shield and a dedicated tripod/pillar too.

Martin,

Lo-tech Telrad dew shield...

http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot/telescope-and-astronomy-stuff.html?highlight=AB3944#AB3944

Look for the thumbnail highlighted in red, usually top left of screen.

Why waste time even making one at that ridiculous price.

Thanks for the link Pete, just purchased said item as my DIY effort has taken a bit of a battering over the years, can't believe it was only £5.

Also thrown the boat out and purchased a proper battery box (18 months after everybody else).

:facepalm:

Martin,

Lo-tech Telrad dew shield...

http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot/telescope-and-astronomy-stuff.html?highlight=AB3944#AB3944

Look for the thumbnail highlighted in red, usually top left of screen.

Why waste time even making one at that ridiculous price.

Ditto, I have ordered one too! Great price and it's time to get ready...

Ditto, I have ordered one too! Great price and it's time to get ready...

Agreed winter will be here soon.

^ Ok, get this.

My original 1.25" SCT fitting, fits all the celestron models in the shop, but the baader 2" clicklock is also refusing to fully fasten up on my C8. I can get about a 2 thread purchase and it feels tight on and secure, but ideally want it to go on further.

I think the SCT visual back looks to have a bit of thread damage, I'm trying my best to tidy it and get this adaptor snug up.

Edited by M__

Had a trip to rother valley optics yesterday and picked up one of these lenspen blower things, so I can clear lint etc from my eyepieces. I also picked up the 28mm fine tuning ring for the Hyperion eyepiece, this coupled with my existing 14mm offers up 3 new arrangements with my 10mm and 13mm hyperions. I can couple the 14 + 28 and convert the 10mm Hyperion into a 5.8 remove the 14mm ring and make a 6.7mm, worth the 14 ish pounds I paid for it :)

image.jpg1_zpsavbxicxm.jpg

Also, pick up this dew shield for £25. I'm 50/50 on its appearance but it's much needed.

image.jpg1_zpsbo0gkix2.jpg

Edited by M__
  • Like 1

The dew shield is a must have really, there's nothing worse than having a good night cut short by dew. I wouldn't worry about how it looks, (which isn't bad) it will be dark anyway.

The fine tuning rings are great, but if you can try to set the focal length you want to use before you go out. I know that's not always practical but taking them to bits in the field can sometimes lead to heart ache. I have a bit of something on my 21mm but can't locate where it is after splitting it to use as a 32mm I have an 8mm which is kept with the 14mm tuning ring on all the time.

The fine tuning rings are great, but if you can try to set the focal length you want to use before you go out. I know that's not always practical but taking them to bits in the field can sometimes lead to heart ache. I have a bit of something on my 21mm but can't locate where it is after splitting it to use as a 32mm I have an 8mm which is kept with the 14mm tuning ring on all the time.

Have you noticed any drop off in performance using the rings?

I'm assuming that it's similar to how a barlow works.

I was thinking the same thing, Ive come close to dropping an eyepice allready and fastening these rings is risky business with my butter fingers lol

Don't know if image quality is lost as it's the only way I can get focus with such high mag due to not enough back focus. But the tuning ring acts as an extension tube meaning I can bring it to focus. Using a Barlow means extra glass and I don't have one, well not one I would use with these eyepieces anyway.

Edited by tuckstar

Nice Pete.

Who makes it?

It is branded Explore Scientific, but it comes from the Kokusai Kohki factory.

I will cut off the foot and convert it to a Synta :)

It has this reticule marked in degrees...

ES8x50.JPG

Edited by Tweedledee

You do like your finders don't you Pete  ;)

Yep, fancied one of these erect image straight through finders for a while.

Couldn't resist this half price bargain from Alabama, customer return with a tiny scratch on one side of the OTA :D

As far as I know, it is the only piece of astro tackle to utilise a Pechan or (Schmidt) Prism not an Amici or erecting lens.

It is comprised of a pair of prisms use in some types of binoculars. Google it.

I do like that, thought it was the explore scientific as I'd been looking at that beast before.

As far as I know, it is the only piece of astro tackle to utilise a Pechan or (Schmidt) Prism not an Amici or erecting lens.

It is comprised of a pair of prisms use in some types of binoculars. Google it.

So a pechan prism inverts the image without deviating the line of sight so does this mean you do not get the diffraction spike you get in all prisms including the amici one. On high magnification work prisms normally suffer from a spike similar to what you see when using a scope with a spider.

Edited by Doc

I'd not heard of the Pechan before seeing this finder. If you search Pechan prism on Google images, look closely at the light paths, I think you'll find that there is still a point with a left/right flip that would cause a central diffraction spike. I doubt it will show up at 8x :)

Apparently, the Baader amici is so good you can really push the power up before seeing a spike..