PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

They also have a bit of a cult following in the binoviewing world Pete for the very reason you said.

Very attractive price tag too....i see on their website they have 2 options : a mounted version and an unmounted version ?

Do you know what this means.....?  :chin_scratch2:

I'm not so sure about the 45deg fov though.....

I can see that having heavy duty focusers and a lot of back focus would make them ideal for binoviewers.

The unmounted version means they don't have a 2" barrel, but screw directly onto the focuser thus saving several centimetres of the image path, and reducing the problem we're talking about.

The nature of the 45 degree versions mean they have very small clear apertures and are likely to cause vignetting when using eyepieces with large field stops. The small clear aperture of most 2" 45 degree prisms will pretty much negate the advantages of using 2" eyepieces.

Right, we'll bring all our ironing round to your tent then, cheers Andy :D 

What a nice offer Andy.

I'll tell the missus that she doesn't have to iron from now to Kelling and drop it with Pete's ironing  :lol:

I'm not allowed to do ironing since I burnt some of swmbos delicate clothes. It cost me money to replace the item, but the investment has paid massive dividends in the extra spare time I've had over had years ;)

• Like 3

I'm not allowed to do ironing since I burnt some of swmbos delicate clothes. It cost me money to replace the item, but the investment has paid massive dividends in the extra spare time I've had over had years ;)

Likewise, best thing I ever done was burning her knickers  :lol:

That's an image that might take a bit of shifting Mick!   :o

Got to say those ironing chairs are worth their weight in gold, I have the same one as Andy and although it means taking a bolt out to adjust it everytime, it is just so comfortable to sit at the scope with. 

Baader Hyperion Mark III and Barlow + QHY 5L-II Mono + 2 AAA batteries for the night light....Expensive batteries get me every time  :facepalm:  

Orion Optics VX10L (F/6.3) 10 inch Newt OTA.

Bargain price, only 15mths old. Couldn't pass it buy.

Told my missus its an early Xmas present, and i'd brought a tube with a mirror in it off eBay to 'do up'

When she see's this there may well be trouble...... :unsure:

21150438421_427fdaed0e_c.jpgOO VX10L OTA by

Edited by Bino-viewer

Thanks.

I'm planning on getting an Orion Optics Dob mount as soon as i have funds......(that may be a while)

Hopefully find a used one sitting around somewhere. I'm much into hunting around for second hand bargains at the moment : there's so much stuff out there !!!!

If not, a new one, and hopefully i can pick one up from John or Barry at the IAS next month.

While the OO dob mounts are a little on the crude side, i'm led to believe they work quite well.

I like the fact they are pretty much bomb proof. Don't need to worry about warping, rotting, rusting etc.

I can be set up and ready to observe in a couple of minutes.

I will also upgrade the dodgy looking Vixen mounting plate on it, to a bigger Losmandy type.

I then have the possibility of mounting it on my Alt-az. (probably not a good idea)

Mainly though, i want it as a Dob. It can live in our shed, or at our society observatory.

I would also like to get one of those Equatorial platforms and try a bit of planetary imaging.

This autumn i plan on 'pimping' it up with the usual Dob modifications.

ie Flocking, new finder, (there's also a Telrad mount fitted on the scope)

Maybe upgrade the focuser to a Moonlight ? 

Secondary heater ? 

I'd like to add to the cooling fan under the primary, and fit extra fans to remove the 'boundary layer' of warm air that sits above the mirror.

I've read a lot into this, and it's something i want to try out. Still very much in the planning stages at present though.

I'll get to grips with collimation, and plan to invest in some tools for this at the IAS.

Hopefully at F/6.3 it won't cause me a lot of headaches.

I'm excited with this new scope. Deep down i always had a feeling i'd own another OO newt at some point.

I was planning a much bigger scope towards the end of next year, but this 10" may be all i ever need ?

The optics look absolutely pristine......and best of all they are OO's ultra grade 1/10th PV mirrors.

All this at less than half the price of a new tube, i couldn't pass it buy.

I have my 31mm Nagler ready for this scope, sitting, waiting in my case for a scope like this. 

This will give me a sub 5mm exit pupil ; ideal for my 48yr old eyes.

AND of course, i plan on bino-viewing as soon as possible with it. This will present its own set of challenges of course.

I shall start a thread in the DIY / MOD section soon and add a few images etc.

Cheers  :)

Also Rob, if you need any advice or help on dob modding, give me a shout, I don't think there is anything left to do on mine :)

• Like 1

I bet you can't wait to get your hands on one now. I will watch with interest! :)

Edit.

I don't know how I missed the post where you said you had got it at a knock down bargain price!  :facepalm:

Edited by BAZ
  • Like 1

babylon.jpg

A pressie from Fliss.

I don't care what Sheldon Cooper says, Babylon was true Sci Fi

Edited by philjay
  • Like 2

Orion Optics VX10L (F/6.3) 10 inch Newt OTA.

Bargain price, only 15mths old. Couldn't pass it buy.

Told my missus its an early Xmas present, and i'd brought a tube with a mirror in it off eBay to 'do up'

When she see's this there may well be trouble...... :unsure:

21150438421_427fdaed0e_c.jpgOO VX10L OTA by [url=]

That's going to be a top class performer. Very nice find Rob :thumbsup:

A huge waterproof and breathable custom made cover for the 14" dob. From Cygnus Astro Covers.

It's so big (2m x 1.27m) I could kip out under the stars in it and it wouldn't matter if it rained :)

• Like 2