PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Thats a great aquisition Ron, at a brilliant price. Your going to enjoy pressing buttons and making that buzz around :) .

I hope so Pete, I can compare it against the SW SynScan on my EQ5 !!

Don't think they are as accurate as the SynScan EQ5, but then you will be using smaller scopes with generally wider fields. So it will be a great addition to your fast expanding garden decorations :) .

Guest AstronomyShed

I took delivery of this bad boy at the beginning of the week, a couple of mods later (well I just had to) and this is what it looks like :-

mak4.jpg

mak3.jpg

mak2.jpg

Nice one Ron - I've allways been impressed with Celestron tracking (both EQ and Alt/Az) :)

Still learning what buttons to press, would help if I could see some star's!!! :)

With a big thank you to Mike (Perkil8r) for delivering half way across the country, I now have a Meade 10" F4 Schmidt Newtonian OTA. It has a very slick JMI dual speed focuser. Can't do much with it till I get a good mount and tripod.

Hi Pete,

Hope it is as good as it sounds, need pictures. Thanks mike saved me a 400 miler :D

Was only 380 for me lol. But 310 of those were accounted for before hand anyway ;) I'm suprised how much bigger that extra 2 inches is, it made my 200 look tiny. At least I now know the scope transpotation solution device works :D

Guest Tweedledum

Makes a change from our short flat blue SCT's, still bet its lighter than our 10" lx200's..

Mike know that area well, spend a lot of time in Numberland. Glad it was only a 70 mile diversion, hope you had the back seat free..

No back seat in Mikes van. He's customised it as a scope transporter. He has a puck bolted to the timberwork inside to securely hold the scope upright by the dovetail with the bottom on the floor. Also big polystyrene end pieces to help cushion it. PUCK'er job :D .

It feels like a similar weight to an LX200 10" with forks. Not quite sure yet whether it is easier or harder to carry.

Guest Tweedledum

Bl**min heck around 70lbs??, you are going to need some mount to put that on, a rebuild of the obsy may be needed :D ..

Sounds like Mike has acquired a new role ---- The Transporter

Maybe I'm remembering wrong about the LX200 Damian. I haven't weighed it but it is supposed to be 13.6kg for the OTA. It feels quite heavy and bulky but not a problem to lift. Just takes a bit of getting used to. Maybe a few more sessions in the gym would be in order :D .

Yep, Mike's all geared up.

Sounds like Mike has acquired a new role ---- The Transporter

I'm happy to help if I'm somewhere near ;) In fact, if plenty of folk start and get me to do that it will be a great diversion so SWMBO won't notice that I come back with a little something for myself one day ;):D

Guest Tweedledum

Nice one Mike :) .

Pete, with the forks the damn thing was 70lbs, putting it on the tripod was real hassle until I found a locator plate.. Nearly had a lot of expensive bits of Meade mirror as it went round on the fork an nearly hit the deck....

Edited by Tweedledum

Definitely need to build these muscles then. Anyway, never really shifted the LX200 as it was always bolted to a pier :) .

Photos done. Now driving lessons. Will post later.