PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

yes hope so phil, it will be at EMS so we can all have a play

Sheila

Not gonna be able to make EMS1 Sheila so I shall have to wait to a Sawley or Belper meet to drool all over it

Not gonna be able to make EMS1 Sheila so I shall have to wait to a Sawley or Belper meet to drool all over it

oh no thought you were going to be there, that means no cake :-(

Sorry bout that

Sheila

Guest T A WOW

Not a purchase per say, made a bracket from titanium plate to attach my finder scope to my main scope as they're not normally compatable

LVI Smartguider V1 from Astro Buy and Sell. Now just got to work out how to attack the WO 66mm to the C9.25 in time for EMS1......

Brightstar Astro Off Axis Guider ordered from Modern Astronomy. Fingers crossed it gets here for EMS1. Legs crossed that the weather is OK...!

X3 adjustable "shed mate" feet for levelling Dob base on uneven ground. £4.98 each from B&Q. Big thanks to DaveJW for the heads up on them. Worked a treat :)

eda5y4ab.jpg

y9upezas.jpg

zutu8eve.jpg

Nice idea.

It's vital for the setting circle and wixey to work Daz-if base isn't level just won't find the objects you're looking for. Oh yeah also bought x 2 magnetic based spirit levels. X1 miniature for rocker box base and x1 slightly larger for OTA :)

It's vital for the setting circle and wixey to work Daz-if base isn't level just won't find the objects you're looking for. Oh yeah also bought x 2 magnetic based spirit levels. X1 miniature for rocker box base and x1 slightly larger for OTA :)

I don't understand why it is vital?

The setting circle purely gives you degrees left and right, why does it matter if it is level?

And as for the wixey, surely as long as the OTA is absolutely level when you reset the wixey to 0, then that should not matter what angle the base is at?

Sorry if I am being thick.

Edited by Daz type-r

If the base isn't level, then when you zero the wixey, it will only be level at that point.

When you rotate the scope, the level will go up/ down, which ever way it's tilting, and it will create errors. If the base is level, when you rotate it, it will then be level which ever way you move it.

If the base isn't level, the wixey becomes a bit pointless.

Put three leveling legs on, this is like a tripod and very stable. If you have four legs and they are not adjusted bang on, it will rock side to side.

Doh, seems quite obvious now you have pointed it out.

I blame the illness.....................

That looks very tidy Felix.

Is this another EMS mass mod? Sort of what happened with the flocking!

I blame DaveJW. :lol:

That looks very tidy Felix.

Is this another EMS mass mod? Sort of what happened with the flocking!

I blame DaveJW. :lol:

Ha ha :)

I'm not sure Martyn. It all sort of snowballed from me buying a setting circle for my 200P off a nice chap on ABS.Then I posted a topic on here asking for help ( thanks for help everyone :) ) and it resulted from that really.

The levelling feet were a godsend (thanks DaveJW) as I am not very good at DIY really so they were the most easily accessible and installable solution to the levelling problem.

Next thing now is whether to wait and install lazy Susan bearing which will naturally widen the gap between rocker box and ground base allowing me to make a moveable setting circle like Mick suggested out of two pieces of thicker perspex or whether to stick it directly to ground base and manually lift the unit to put zero in the hole I am making in the rockerbox to polar align?

I certainly like the idea of an easily moveable setting circle much better than lifting the unit each time. I have found a Leicester based plastics company and emailed them regarding quotes for a couple of 1mm Perspex discs that I can sandwhich the setting circle between so will await their response or give them a call Monday to see if they can help on that front. Presently the gap between rockerbox and ground base is only 4mm hence the thinness of Perspex.

Work in progress that one. But have all the other components, wixey, spirit levels, desk cable tidy (thanks Mick for the idea) and of course levelling feet :) Just awaiting the arrival of the setting circle which, ironically I ordered first and will be the last thing to arrive :)

Whoah?! What an essay, sorry guys!! :)

P.S Thanks Martyn for answering Daz' query RE:why base needs to be level. I typed out a response a few times but every time I re-read it, it confused me! So I ended up binning it and waiting for someone more eloquent to come along; and you did, so thanks :)

Edited by catman161

Baader 2 inch semi apo filter for use with my Evostar 150. It will be housed in my Revelation 2 inch diagonal so i dont have to keep changing it with different eyepieces. This is mainly for use observing the Moon and Jupiter. I hope it is as good as the reviews it has been getting?? :)

Worked very well with my old AR6.

Think you will enjoy it.

John

That`s good to know thanks John. :)

Celestron C9.25 XLT Fastar

NEQ6

Mains PSU for NEQ6

Celestron branded dew shield

1.25" diagonal (the standard one that comes with the scope)

2" Teleskop Service diagonal

Celestron coma corrector

Badder finder-scope mounting bracket (the original too, but this one is solid)

Standard Celestron finder scope

9 x 50 finder scope

Another trailer tent, a 2 berth Tregano, so now have a 4 berth AND a 2 berth!! :)

Why two? Asks she with three, lol.

We have a 60's Dandy, an 80's Dandy and a spare one which is an instant room. ;-)

Purchase and project, a hard wired red light in the campervan - to make drinks by :-) Do I need to make a gas flame light shield? Lol.

Next project - red drive lights. Is that a step too far? ;-)