PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

These are really good...

/>http://www.thehotrox.co.uk/

Several years ago I used the gel type hand warmers which didn't heat for long and were too much of a faff to keep boiling in a pan to recharge after use.

I bought this electronic rechargeable handwarmer because the website blurb sounded really good, but wondered if it really did what it says on the tin. I tested it out and it really impressed me. I plugged it into my iPhone USB 3 pin plug, and charged it for about 1 hour when the red light turned green for full charge. I switched it on to the maximum heat setting and it did start to get warm within a few seconds. After a minute or two it was really toasty and I thought that surely it can't keep this up for very long. I left it switched on full and went about my business but had to keep swapping pockets, it was so hot. It lasted over 3 hours continuously on full heat before cooling over the last 15 minutes. You can switch it off when you don't need it to make it last a lot longer. There are 3 settings, off, medium and high. This is going to be a nice thing to have at Belper this winter. You could even leave one switched on warming your eyepiece case. I suspect, that as with most rechargeable gadgets, it would be best to use it till flat before recharging to ensure a long life. Prices vary from about £24 to £35 inc. p&p.

Edited by petersull

:lol: Just saw your post Cazz.

Just today I have been drawing up plans to mount my big Baz Battery to the bottom of my AE pier, and considering motorising the slo mos on the Skytee and possibly implementing a little bit of extra dew control, and maybe even bracketing the laptop to the pier :wacko: .

don't forget the tea urn ;)

These are really good...

/>http://www.thehotrox.co.uk/

Cheers Peter. This is on my Christmas list. Can't work the scope set up with gloves and it was freezing last weekend :)

don't forget the tea urn ;)

:D :D How about a percol8r as well...

/>http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/ju/jura-impressa-z5-coffee-machine.jpg

Cheers Peter. This is on my Christmas list. Can't work the scope set up with gloves and it was freezing last weekend :)

I reckon all dark site members should be issued with one. :lol:

A 2kg counterweight from Graham for my Meg 72 on the EQ5 mount.

Envious of you Andy, QHY5 on the wish list!!

Edited by Ron Clarke

Bought a Televue clickstop zoom , off SGL.....i've read good and bad reports....whats your feelings? I guess anything is a step up from the basic supplied EP's, plus it's going to be for Lewis to use in his xmas pressie

:P

Edited by Celeste

Hey Nicky - you beat me to that zoom lol - is it the one you got from Dave? He's a good chap and the eypiece will be in great condition - nice one :)

Hey Nicky - you beat me to that zoom lol - is it the one you got from Dave? He's a good chap and the eypiece will be in great condition - nice one :)

Surely you cannot need anymore gear?! :lol:

Ooops sorry! Yeah it is, there was another on ABS that also sold fast. It looks good, but apparently is more for terrestrial viewing that astronomy? It seems to be in good condition...just need to try it out. I was eyeing the Baader zoom, but this came up near £100 less so.... :D

2x234mm scope rings for the 200PDS from FLO (£40) to enable me to rotate the OTA easier than the jubilee clip system I have been using! :)

Nice!

Will you be bringing them to meets - can I have a look?

Yeah I will bring these to meets! Of course you can Daz all are welcome to look :)

Well done Felix.

Can't wait to see some observing reports with the big binos.

Me too Pete. I am excited at the prospect of hunting clusters down with these. Will most certainly be doing a report on first light of these-they're monster! Like phil said i can imagine they are great if you are a little tired or time constrained but want to get set up quick and see some sights :)