PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

All the gubbins to convert my HEQ5PRO to belt drive.

Regards.

What are the benefits of modding to belt drive Paul?

Guest Antares_Paul

Malcolm (the guy who originally developed these kits) reported smoother movement, less backlash, more correctable periodic error, better precision when slewing and the mount ultimately making less noise  :) PHD has less to do guiding. With autopec running his graphs were super flat.

In reality it's not going to change the Skywatcher mount into a GM1000HPS but us boys like to fiddle (don't we)  :D

Regards.

Oh right, cool thanks Paul. The guy I bought my NEQ6 Pro from was selling to go towards a GM1000-lucky guy!

Guest Antares_Paul

I have a personal pension/lump sum kicking in when I'm 55 so you know where some of the money will be going  ;)

By then retailers might actually have some in stock lmao

Regards.

I have a personal pension/lump sum kicking in when I'm 55 so you know where some of the money will be going ;)

By then retailers might actually have some in stock lmao

Regards.

The guy I bought my NEQ6 off said that Ian King was the best bet in the UK for the GM series mounts. Worth giving him a shout now maybe and get an order in perhaps-if you're close to 55 that is!

I have just put my name on a new telescope carry case that Ive been promising myself for the past year. I shall be picking it up on Friday, cant wait.

Its made by Volkswagen and is listed as the T5 Van :D  :D  :D

I sealed the deal yesterday and am having a side window put in it as well as body colour bumpers and reversing sensors. This will take my gear and be ideal for star party transport and sleeping accommodation as well as being my base for hiking which I intend to step up (get it) in 2013

Oooooh I am excited

Now to join the VW T4/T5 forum and local club :D

Just seen this, good choice, welcome to the fold.  :D

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/t5-section_forums_cat12.html

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=66&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3

My purchase is not nearly as exciting as the above ones.  I'm going up in the world and have bought myself a book, Childrens atlas of the universe, it's written right at my level lol.  :P   Actually it's a present for a child, but I am reading it first.  :D

Guest Antares_Paul
... if you're close to 55 that is!

3 years and 9 months, approximately.

I'll no doubt be spending WAY before that though  ;)

Regards.

Sketch pad and a selection of HB pencils as per Mick's recommendation in Cosmic Dave's thread about sketching. Thought I might give sketching a go to force me to concentrate more on each target :)

Skywatcher Aero ED 30mm 2 inch 70 degree eyepiece for use with the new dob, if ever the clouds clear!! :angry:

Uh oh-the wife is away and I cave!! Shh let's not tell her ;)

Kendrick Premium 2" Dew heater strip for eyepiece

Kendrick Firefly 2" Dew heater strip for

objective of finder scope

Kendrick Firefly 0.965" Dew heater strip for eyepiece of finder scope

Kendrick 4 port 2 channel Controller

One port left for secondary mirror heater :)

Nice one Tom. Ideal mount for that scope. :)

We finally got some 105mm CnC rings today for the Tal 100RS - so that'll be on an HEQ5 soon as the weather clears. The rings are a tad oversized and the leather packing was a spot too much for the scope diameter - so I've taken it off and building up to the ideal fit using strips of flocking material. The Tal has a tender tube that doesn't want to be squished. :)

Sketch pad and a selection of HB pencils as per Mick's recommendation in Cosmic Dave's thread about sketching. Thought I might give sketching a go to force me to concentrate more on each target :)

Nice one Felix, you will enjoy it I promise

Cheers Kim and Phil. I'm a lucky chap with these choices. Hoping for the best if both planetary and DSO. If only..... Still trying to get the hang of it but with only weekends to play with the chances of a clear night are lower

"Star Clusters" by Brent Archinal and Steven Hynes.

Bl**dy expensive, but should be the ultimate reference manual.