PM Tuckstar if you want an invite to the WhatsApp group before the EMS website closes. ×
  • Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Latest Purchases

Guest Kheldar

Nice looking scope. Is that a 5" refractor? Forgive my ignorance, I am out of touch with today's scope names

Its a Takahashi FSQ 106 ED

Just got hold of Photoshop CS3, so can now give my RAW's the help they need !!  :lol:  :lol:

Guest Wayne

Hi all. As you now probably know I am the proud owner of Davids old 10" Orion optics Europa newt.

I've managed to pick up some nice glossy black timber, well MDF From IKEA .

Only cost me £5.50 :-) will keep you posted on the build.

It's just a shame I didn't come away with Davids dog :-)

Better luck next time lol :-) thanks again David.

Just ordered a very nice little finder eyepiece - Williams Optics UWAN 16mm 82 degrees 1.25" :) .

There is method in my madness...
I did not fully enjoy using the relatively narrow apparent field eyepiece that came with my 12x80 RACI finder, 55 degrees was like looking through a straw. With the UWAN replacing the original ep, the real field of view will stay about the same, but the magnification will nearly double. This should provide more contrast due to a darker sky background, and a wider (82 degree), better corrected apparent field. I am hoping that with higher magnification and more contrast, DSOs will show up a little bigger and be even easier to find. I have been very well pleased with this finder, but hope this will improve it further. I don't really need the cross hairs, since I am using big wide field eps in the main scope, and have other smaller finders with cross hairs.

The finder will become a 20x80 RACI.

If I need cross hairs I can always put the straw back in :D .

A set of 220mm scope rings and some 5.5mm thick cork sheet. Going to fit these to the Skymax 180pro ;)

Well that was easy :)

ydure9a3.jpguba4ehe2.jpg

And with the edges blackened you would hardly notice ;)

Edited by Teslar

Not strickley astro; Manfrotto 294 CF tripod and a 701HDV head.  :)

Edited by Ron Clarke

Solid motors those volvos but a friend bought one new and couldn't believe how quickly they depreciated I guess once they have they are a bargain second or third hand

Not astro but a new biking jacket and trousers, had the same ones for over 3 years so treated myself at the Stafford bike show.

Guest dawson

If non-astro is allowed, i got two bottles of ant killer from b&q today as i seem to have an infestation. Maybe they fell out of eddy's trousers he's had on for 3 years :)

Edited by dawson

@Tom - thanks - yes they depreciate form new very quick and are a great bargain even up to 7yrs old - you get so much car for the money and usually an engine that lasts forever. :)

@James - you're supposed to say "ant killer for camping at a star party" cos you were overrun with them last time - I'll let you off for not knowing. lol :)

@Tom - thanks - yes they depreciate form new very quick and are a great bargain even up to 7yrs old - you get so much car for the money and usually an engine that lasts forever. :)

@James - you're supposed to say "ant killer for camping at a star party" cos you were overrun with them last time - I'll let you off for not knowing. lol :)

:lol: not sure he'd get away with that as he hasn't been to one yet I don't think

Just ordered a QHY IMGOH Mono Planetary Imaging Camera from Bern at Modern Astronomy ,same chip as the Imaging source camera but a little more bells and whistles apparently, can be used as a ST4 guider as well

Just ordered a QHY IMGOH Mono Planetary Imaging Camera from Bern at Modern Astronomy ,same chip as the Imaging source camera but a little more bells and whistles apparently, can be used as a ST4 guider as well

Very nice phil! I have been reading a lot about the IMGOH colour version ( can't be doing with filters :) ) They seem like very nice cameras indeed.

I thought about colour but they have kess res and rgb planetary imaging isnt as time consuming as dso rgb. I havent the patience for rgb dso imaging thats why i swapoed my mono atik to osc, but im gonna have a bash with this, bern reckons the software shouldnt tax my brain cell too much either:-)

opticstar px-35c camera,

looks like a upgrade from a Philips 900nc webcam, same sensor, but with cooling and usb2 instead of usb1 so should be able to download avi`s at a better frame rate than the Philips without compression of data.

well housed unit, looking forward to trying it out on Saturn soon.